31 July 2004
Maggie Currey, Editor of Spotlight, has been to see Hilary Benn. Liked him a lot. Her interview was in the recent Spotlight. Hilary Benn’s views on Zambia are pretty close to mine.
The Newsletter view is that Zambia needs:
- Good government
- Effective family planning
- Effective AIDS control
- and lots and lots of well-managed cash.
Hilary Benn seems to believe the same. In the interview it comes out as:
- A key area of DFID’s support of Zambia is good governance
- decline in outcome has been halted or reversed….(in) contraceptive use
- Zambia is starting to make progress…..in combating HIV/AIDS
- Above all, Zambia needs…investment from outside